It’s been a busy Monday so I only have time for a short post, but hopefully, it’s one you’ll find valuable. I think I first read about microwaving kitchen sponges on MSNBC last year (this article, maybe?). We had been going through sponges like crazy… It seemed like we were picking up several packages every time we went to Target. I figured I’d give the microwave a try to see if I could extend the life of a sponge beyond a few days.
It worked like a charm! Just make sure the sponge is wet (not sopping, but dry ones will catch fire in the microwave) and microwave it on high for 2 minutes. Wait at least 10 minutes before removing it from the microwave and ringing it out; otherwise, the hot (hot!) water left in the sponge will burn your hands. If your sponge had started to give off any kind of odor, you should notice it’s gone when you take the sponge out of the microwave. I microwave my sponges every couple of days (or immediately if they’ve been in the vicinity of raw meat) and toss them when they’re worn out.
Oreo Ice Cream Cake is on the request line for tomorrow!