Onions and I are NOT friends. I love to cook with them, but I am seriously one of those people who ends up with a mascara-streaked face within about 15 seconds of cutting one open. And boy, do my eyes burn! I’ve tried “onion goggles” and they help some, but I still tear up every time.
My mom caught me on the phone this evening *just* before I was about to slice an onion for dinner. She told me to light a candle first. I lit a tea light and placed it right next to my cutting board. Amazingly enough, it worked! I didn’t tear up at all. I guess the flame is supposed to burn up the onion fumes or something… Who knows. What I *do* know is that I’ll never cut an onion without a candle nearby ever again!