Something disturbing is happening. Here’s a summary of my last three days in the kitchen:
- I failed spectacularly at my Daring Bakers’ challenge. (More on that coming Tuesday.)
- I overbaked a batch of cookies and had to start over completely. I didn’t realize this, of course, until they were already cooled and iced. Naturally, there was a deadline attached to this batch as well.
- When it was time to add a vanilla bean to a batch of homemade ice cream, I discovered that while the vanilla beans I purchased this week made it onto my receipt, they didn’t actually make it to my house.
- The ice cream didn’t thicken (at all!) in the ice cream maker.
- I broke a melamine bowl (isn’t melamine practically indestructible?) that (1) I had received as a wedding gift and (2) is a perfect match to my stand mixer.
- My pie crust cracked, probably because I forgot the sanding sugar and then accidentally sealed up my crust vents with a second coating of egg wash.
Argh! It’s enough to make me want to drop to the kitchen floor and throw a tantrum (with tears, probably). Curse reversal and/or positive kitchen vibes would be much appreciated… 🙂